Thursday 15 July 2010

Johnny Marr has new Sarracenia hybrid plant named in his honour

Hampshire Carnivorous Plants have named a new Sarracenia hybrid plant in honour of Johnny Marr. They will be unveiling the plant to the world for the first time at this year’s  Royal Horticultural Society Show, held at Tatton Park Knutsford Cheshire (21-25 July)

 Matt Soper of Hampshire Carnivorous Plants said “ I have been a fan of Johnny’s for some years, and 'play' guitar myself, as does my daughter.  I have only named two of my own hybrids previously,



one for her, Rebecca and the other, my wife, Juthatip.  I understand you must get many requests for Johnny Marrs' attention, but hoped he might be interested in my approach for introducing a new plant in his honour at the RHS Tatton Park Flower Show, almost 'home ground'.
I'm an award-winning nurseryman having attained numerous gold medal awards for  growing  Plants all over the country, twelve consecutive 'golds' at Chelsea, and just last week, Best in Show at Hampton Court Palace. Hampshire Carnivorous Plants is my own business, run by myself with the help of my family.  It has grown out of my passion for these plants, ( I grew my first venus fly trap when just six years old! ), and we are incredibly proud of our success, in part, thanks to the encouragement and faith in my ability of the Royal Horticultural Society, allowing me to concentrate in a change in career from being a builder.

Johnny Marr is a musician whose work I greatly admire and has given me so much pleasure over the years from The Smiths ,The The and Electronic to The Cribs , this is my way of saying THANK YOU.”

 This is the plant C.V . Johnny Marr it is a beautiful copper colour in spring turning dark red to purple as the year goes on , it is one of the best Sarracenia hybrids around, we hope to display the plant at the 2011 Chelsea flower show.








No comments:

Post a Comment